for Information for an Integrated Library System (ILS) for the Illinois
Heartland Library System
LLSAP: Local Library System Automation Program
What is LLSAP?
LLSAP is a shared library automation system that is professionally managed by Illinois
Heartland Library System. Participation increases local library staff productivity by
providing automated cataloging, resource sharing, and circulation management services. It also makes information access easier for patrons.
The LLSAP currently uses software from SirsiDynix, Horizon, to manage automation of
The Benefits of LLSAP membership.
- Better Patron Service - The LLSAP database lists the complete holdings of 152 library buildings. That's a catalog of more than 2,800,000 individual items.
- Collection Management - SirsiDynix Horizon database software and servers provide a central location for storing
basic library information, such as patron data, circulation records,
bibliographic and holdings information. SirsiDynix Horizon database tracks circulation activity,
compiles overdue notices, fine notices and bills and provides statistical reports on collection
- Collection Development - SirsiDynix Horizon database software helps to develop a unique collection by
monitoring the growth of the holdings of your library and other libraries.
- Resource Sharing - You will be able to share the collections of other
libraries easily. LLSAP participation eliminates the need for paper interlibrary loan requests
between participating libraries. All materials can be ordered directly
through the computer system.
- Increased Collection Utilization - Your patrons can search your library more
easily and thoroughly. Patrons will know if materials are checked out, in process,
or on the shelf.
- Easy Searching Commands - The database can be searched by author, title, subject or keyword.
Searches can also be made with only fragments of terms and the screens are easy to read and self-explanatory.
- System and State Library Grant Support - IHLS provides many overhead expenses such as computer room personnel, insurance, and UPS monitoring, at no charge to
participants. The Illinois State Library makes grant money available for upgrades.
- Public Access Catalog - SirsiDynix Horizon database provides an easy-to-use Internet accessible and searchable catalog,
available to your patrons from any Internet accessible computer 24/7.
- Circulation - The SirsiDynix Horizon database can replace paper circulation files by keeping track of all
The Costs of LLSAP Membership.
- Initial costs - These include the purchase of a computer(s) and printer, and the
provision of connectivity to the SirsiDynix Horizon database server in Decatur.
- Ongoing costs - These costs include connectivity, a share of central site
costs and local equipment maintenance. Central site costs are shared
through proportionate billing for a computer development fund. The fund
is also used to finance equipment and software upgrades.
The LLSAP Transition Plan was passed at the Users' Group meeting October 20, 2010.
RPLS LLSAP Member List
IHLS - Decatur Office DELIVERY ROUTES